Many community and voluntary groups have said to us that they’d really love to engage youth volunteers, but they don’t quite know how. They know there are many benefits, but it feels like a tricky, unachievable process. So we’ve pulled together this free event to try to demystify youth volunteering and show how easy it can be. The agenda is below. We’ve some fantastic speakers lined up including our local Member of Scottish Youth Parliament, the Linlithgow Academy Pupil Council Chair, LYPP Youthworkers, West Lothian Volunteer Gateway and more.
– Why engage youth volunteers? Hearing from some local young people about what they can bring to community groups, how they can benefit these groups, and why they’d like to get involved.
– How to engage youth volunteers? A youth worker from LYPP will talk us through how to engage youth volunteers; how to get their attention, what requirements there are in terms of supervision, parental permission and PVG checks and how to navigate these considerations.
– Saltire Awards We will hear from a member of West Lothian Voluntary Sector Gateway about what the Saltire awards are, how to get involved with them as an organisation, and why you’d want to.
– Year of Young People 2018 A brief overview of Scotland’s Year of Young People 2018, including how to get involved.
– Future of Youth Volunteering in Linlithgow We will outline our plans for the coming year, supporting organisations to involve youth volunteers. This will include helping groups prepare to be available as work experience placements, running a volunteering Roadshow, and participating in the Youth Philanthropy Initiative, which could see a community group being awarded £3000.
– Time for questions, networking and discussion
If you’d like more information please email email@example.com.